Easy and Deliciously Dairy Free!
If you are anything like me you are probably a huge fan of breakfast food! Brunch is my jam, and I have been known to order a good $40.00 worth of breakfast food at a diner before. I know I can not be the only one! But a whole heck of a lot of breakfast foods contain dairy so I am always trying to recreate favorites without the lactose.
I don't eat dairy very often and I am always looking for a great way sneak more veggies into my meals - so the idea to whip a quiche hit me today! It's simple, easy, cheap, high in protein and pretty darn tasty! I noticed immediately that I did not have any of my vegan cheese on hand - so I knew I was going to have to go without, or think outside the box a bit. Cream cheese it is!
Throughout my entire pregnancy I have been craving bagels. It started in my first trimester and has not quit! With this craving I have been trying different brands of dairy free cream cheese - which is strange in itself. I use to work at a bagel shop back in my high school days and the thought of cream cheese after that experience was enough to turn me off for a solid decade. Plus add in lactose intolerance to the mix, cream cheese and I spent some time apart.
Over the years allergy friendly brands have kept popping up and more non-dairy options have made their way into stores. Let me tell you they have come a LONG way from the first vegan cheese I ever tried! Flavor city now! There are still some brands to look out for, and you have to find which one fits your pallet or recipe - but there are so many options to try!
For this recipe I used about two tablespoons of the brand Kite Hill cream cheese. It is on the softer side, almost like a goat cheese or maybe like Laughing Cow. This can be subbed out for your favorite cheese product. If it is cream cheese, shredded or cut up cubes - feel free to use what you have on hand. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the little creamy surprises that the cream cheese provided. The flavors of the quiche are Italian so I would suggest a mozzarella or provolone style flavor combination. Also, feel free to add in any of your other breakfast favorites like diced veggie sausage or bacon!
What you need:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-9" pie pan with coconut oil.
2. In a medium bowl crack eggs and whisk together. Add in almond milk and whisk until combined. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet, over medium low heat. Add in the chopped zucchini, onions, and red pepper.
4. Sprinkle the vegetables with the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables have softened - about 10 minutes.
5. Place sauteed vegetables in your greased pie pan.
6. Add in your cheese of choice to the egg mixture. If you are using cream cheese, make sure you are breaking it up with a fork into smaller pieces for even distribution.
7. Pour egg mixture over top of the vegetables, top with any extra cheese if you would like.
8. Place in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes. (Ovens can vary, this quiche was cooked perfectly at the 30 minute mark for me. Check the center of the pan to make sure you have a firm egg.)
9. Let cool a bit before serving.
You can use this as your next brunch recipe, or make it ahead of time an reheat all week! Serve with roasted potatoes, side salad or enjoy it as is!
-Vegetarian friendly, low carb, dairy free, gluten free, keto friendly, paleo friendly.
Hi there! I'm Kait!
Amazon Associates Disclosure
Embodiment by Kait is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com